Photo Competition: Giants of the Desert
Send your best photographs of elephants to firstname.lastname@example.org and stand a chance to win great prizes!
The closing date is 1 November 2010.
Currently available at all good bookstores. Ask your store to place an order if they do not have copies in stock.
Giants of the Desert Author: Fritz Eloff ISBN: 978-1-86919-390-4 Publisher: Protea Book House Proposed retail price: R190, 00 We celebrate the publication of Giants of the Desert and the progress in digital photography. If only the authors of this book had the cameras we have today!
First prize (worth R690,00): Giants of the Desert, by Fritz Eloff (R190,00) Voices from theLand, by Jurgen Schadeberg (R250,00) Black and White Fifties: Jurgen Schadeberg's South Africa, by Jurgen Schadeberg (R250,00)
Second prize (worth R440,00) Giants of the Desert, by Fritz Eloff (R190,00) Voices from the Land, by Jurgen Schadeberg (R250,00) Third prize (worth R190,00) Giants of the Desert, by Fritz Eloff (R190,00)
The Kaokoveld, one of the world’s most forbidding deserts, is host to a variety of animals that have found ingenious ways of surviving in this hostile environment. Here, giraffes go without water and rhinos trudge up towering mountains in search of that scarce resource. This, however, is not a book that primarily focuses on beautiful photography. On the contrary, the camera was used as a scientific tool to record animal movements. Many of us can shoot better photographs with the cameras we have today; but can we also conduct this kind of research? Rules
- Photographs should be sent to email@example.com with GIANTS OF THE DESERT in the subject line. The closing date is 1 November 2010.
- Please send only one photograph per e-mail.
- Only the first three entries of each photographer will be considered.
- Photographs must be supplied as JPGs and the longest side should be 1024 pixels. Preference will be given to photographs that follow these specifications, but we encourage anyone to enter. Please ensure that those cellphone-captured photographs do not exceed 2 megabytes! (Photographs that are too big will automatically be disqualified.)
- Photographs may be digitally enhanced.
- All photographs must be accompanied by the full name, e-mail and postal address of the photographer. Professional photographers may choose to enter using their studios' names, but pseudonyms will not be accepted.
- Protea Book House reserves the right to publish any entry in order to promote this competition. The term "publish" includes distribution by email, or on any digital forum, including the internet, as well as in the printed media. Protea Book House undertakes not to publish any of these photos for any other purpose without first obtaining written permission from the photographer. The photographer retains copyright.
- No picture presented may infringe any copyright and the entrant indemnifies Protea Book House, and agents acting on behalf of Protea Book House, of any action that may arise from a photograph submitted.
- Anyone may participate. For this competition the prizes will be posted free of charge to participants living in South Africa. Should a competitor outside South Africa win, Protea Book House will contact the winner to establish the best means by which the prize can be sent to her/him.
- Employees of Protea Book House and their family members will not be eligible for prizes.
- The judges' decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- By participating, the participant gives Protea Book House the right to notify her/him of other competitions. However, Protea Book House undertakes not to disclose the participants' addresses to third parties and also undertakes to remove a participant from the database, should such a request be submitted in writing.